Saturday, May 19, 2007

I'm here!

Words can't express my excitement at the moment! I just got back from buying groceries for the weekend with Joy and Hillary and we made off like bandits. We needed to stock up for dinner meals tonight and tomorrow, so we bought a large box of crackers, pineapple juice, apples, and peaches for 4.24 euro! Hillary has Nuttella for us to spread on the crackers :)

I don't know where to begin - my body and mind are still pretty messed up time-wise, but I feel rested and am loving the weather here. The trip over was very nice, particularly the flight from Charlotte to Munich. We flew on a German line called Lufthansa, and the coach seats were above and beyond the first class seats on US Air! The crew were so friendly and considerate, and the food wasn't that bad either. I was especially fond of the mashed sweet potatoes ...

After arriving in Munich we all made it through customs (I had to put my hand lotion and eye drops in a plastic bag because of new liquid regulations) and were soon on our way to Milan. On the flight over I was in the middle seat between two strangers. As we flew over the Alps, I was determined to get pictures, so I decided to harass the guys sitting next to me - and try out my Italian as well. He was very nice and took all the pictures I wanted, but after several failed attempts of me trying to communicate I found out to my dismay that he was French! Oops. Thankfully he knew enough English for us to semi-converse. He was traveling to Milan on business for the day and was from a city in the southern part of France but worked in Germany - or something to that extent. The woman next to me was Italian (And probably laughing at me the whole time) but she kept her nose in a book the whole time and didn't seem to want company.

After arriving in Milan we drove 5-6 hours to Sansepolcro, stopping along the way at a rest stop type of place that was like a mini mall and gas station. I tried my best to stay awake during the drive and take in the scenery, but it was something like 3 AM in NC time and the motion of the bus rocked me to sleep for the first 3-4 hours of the trip. When I finally woke up my first glimpse was of the beautiful rolling hills of Tuscany (see below) - mountains, fields, valleys, rivers - it was amazing. Here's my first view of Tuscany (taken from the bus - excuse the poor quality!):

I lost my heart then and there! I can't describe how in awe and yet at home I felt. It is a unique sensation that has continued in Sansepolcro. I feel different from the Italians, but not unwelcome or greatly out of place. Here is a glimpse of the Tuscan countryside we witnessed on our first early morning walk around Sansepolcro:

And here is a shot of a street in Sansepolcro:


I need to run now because lunch is in thirty minutes and I don't want to be late! I am going to try to drop back by this Internet joint later this afternoon to post pictures and update this post a bit (I don't have my camera output with me at the moment). I have so many other fun stories to tell!

Thank you for your prayers and emails! I'm in the traveler "high" at the moment and set to hit the low within the next 48 hours give or take, so be aware of that over the next week if my posts get homesicky!

Much love!

Baci,

Bekah

No comments: