Saturday, July 21, 2007

Ireland has captured my heart - and I don't want to leave!

Hello again! Here's another quick update on my latest travels outside of London. I would write about London too, but whenever I'm there I am too busy experiencing it to actually find the time to write about it! But I promise to catch you up on everything once I get back ... if I can find the time before school starts up :)

I took off on my adventure to Ireland on Thursday just after noon. I hopped on the tube and rode the Piccadilly line all the way to the Heathrow Airport terminals with no problem. Once I got to the airport I checked myself in on the machine, checked my backpack at the Aer Lingus desk, and then zipped through security and made my way to the Gate 84. There I had to wait for a little bit because my seat was in row 5, so I was one of the last passengers to board. About a half hour later I was on the plane sitting between an older woman with a semi-grumpy appearance and a thirty-something man with tattoos and a savage looking earring in one ear. Tattoo man was actually quite polite, though very quiet, but the older woman in the window seat kept her earplugs in the whole time and never even gave me the chance to make eye contact. One thing they held in common was their notion of armrest rights because they both seemed to think that they had a higher right to the armrests than I did. That's the hard thing about sitting in a middle seat - you get the leftovers.

Thankfully, I was so elated over the fact that I was on a plane, by myself, and on my way to IRELAND - that I didn't mind the lack of armrests. I was also rather pleased with how well the trip had gone so far. Before leaving I was extremely excited, but very nervous because there was a lot to remember and I was on my own. I had planned everything myself and was responsible for getting myself there on my own, so it was very liberating and thrilling, but there was a bit of "oh man, what if I _______ or forget to ______ ?" going on in my head too. But by the grace of a very great God the flight and every step before it ran very smoothly and I arrived in Cork about an hour later with nothing to peeve me except my lack of aerial pictures. The grumpy lady next door did not look like she wanted to be spoken to much less leaned over for a few shots from above, so I but my tongue and gazed out the window longingly, promising myself that the next time I came I would make sure I got a few pictures from the airplane. The view was just spectacular!

Christina and Anna Hartley were there to greet me at the airport after I had grabbed my baggage from the check point. Anna Hartley had grown so much since I last saw her, and was all smiles despite the fact that she had no clue who I was! From the airport we stopped by a Tesco (grocery store) that was attached to a small shopping mall.

I took Anna Hartley for a spin in the stroller while Christina stocked up at the Tesco. A.H. wasn't entirely sure I was qualified for driving a stroller, but as you can see that didn't stop her from propping her feet up and relaxing!

She was a great shopping buddy! I took her all over that mall and she rambled on in baby language like she and I were having a real conversation. It was relaxing for me to just enjoy some baby time and drink in the everyday views of Irish culture around me. Everyone was so friendly!

The next day (Friday) we headed west and made a day out of our trip to the Cliffs of Moher. At times the weather looked a bit iffy, and we got some way on the trip over, but when we finally reached the cliffs just after lunchtime, the sky was beginning to look quite hopeful. Anna Hartley was great about going straight from car seat to stroller - she was a real trooper that day!

It was definitely a trek to reach the actual cliffs, but between the two of us Christina and I were able to push/drag the stroller all the way up to the top! The sights were breathtaking - a few minutes and any remainder of my heart that was avoiding full surrender was gone.

I don't know if I can possibly describe with adequate words just how stunning the Cliffs of Moher were to see in person. If ever you are in Ireland and have the slightest possibility of going to see them, by all means go! They were absolutely magnificent - and so very rich a green - and the water was wild and free down below the jagged rocks, untainted by human touch.

Then a few minutes after we'd been there the sky really began to clear up, even sunny in certain places. There was a gentle breeze to keep us cool, but in general it was a very mild day and perfect for viewing the beauty all around us.

And Anna Hartley was certainly happy to get out of that stroller! She was cheerful throughout the day and so patient with Christina and me as we dragged her around from sight to sight. One thing that did not fit into this trip were the Aran Islands, which you can see in the distance below if you look very closely (it's more of a distant shadow):

The Arans are supposed to be some of the most beautiful places in the world by all accounts, and I would love to make it there the next time I travel to the green hills of Ireland. This trip was a fabulous way to show me a glimpse of just how gorgeous and full of sights this country is, and I since there is still so much left for me to see, I guess I'll have to plan a return trip :)

That evening Christina and I had quite an ordeal getting back! Traffic was pretty back in Limerick, and then when we tried to find a dinner place we got all turned around only to discover the place was right near our parking deck - but closed. So we made do and picked up some bread, cheese, etc. at a nearby Tesco then hopped back in the car and ate on the road. I sat in the back and kept Anna Hartley happy, which wasn't very hard since she was either sleeping ...

... or goofing off with blanket!

We made it home safely that night, happy about the side of Ireland we had discovered for the first time, but pretty tired from all the traveling. Today was a lot slower and more relaxed. Christina and I had breakfast and discussed the wonderful complexities of the Jim/Pam relational dynamics within the T.V. show The Office while Anna Hartley had her morning nap, and then the three of us headed out to downtown Cork to look around and do some shopping. You know, girl time :)

I absolutely loved Cork! Not only was it colorful, clean, and happily bustling, but everyone I met along the way was remarkably kind and friendly! (I took lots of pictures, but will have to post those when I get back to London.) One of the highlights of my day was when a young British woman came up to me and asked if I could point her in the direction of a good coffee shop - I was so flattered! To be mistaken for a local is quite a compliment for me, so you can imagine how excited I was when it happened again an hour later! I was in traveler's bliss!

After a few hours out and about around the town, the three of us had had our fill so we headed back to the house for lunch. Then Christina and Anna Hartley took naps while I laboured feverishly over my Chatsworth blog update (see below if you haven't read that update yet!) and caught up on email. It was nice to have some downtime before the hectic days that await me this week! Tomorrow morning I fly out of Cork bright and early at 7:30 am and head back to London by 9. I'm very sad to part ways with Ireland, but so thankful that I had the opportunity in the first place.

Ireland has truly taken my heart! Not to lessen the wonder and happiness I felt in the other countries, or downplay the other gorgeous sights I have seen this summer (each one was special and unique in its own right!), but I have never felt more at home in any place as I have in these few days in Ireland. I don't know what I'm going to do about this newfound attachment, but if I could guarantee a return to anywhere I've been so far, Ireland would be the place I'd want to ensure I visited again.

I hope you all are doing well and enjoying the summer. I can't believe it, but this trip is getting close to reaching its conclusion! I return on August 5th, but will certainly do my hardest to blog at least one more time before I come home. We are going to Bath next weekend (Hello Jane Austen World!) so hopefully I will be able to blog about that before we leave London the Monday after.

Much love and many many baci! I can't wait to catch up with all of you when I get back to the States. Again, if I have not responded to your emails please forgive me! Oftentimes they come in herds at a time when I cannot respond, but then by the time I have a few minutes to catch up on email they have gotten pushed down the inbox and I forget to go back and respond! So all that to say, don't think I'm purposefully neglecting you! Each and every one is a blessing and I really do love getting emails!

Take care!

Bekah

No comments: