Wednesday, July 11, 2007

More Wales!

On to our last day in Wales! We began the morning with plans to catch Bus #28 and return to Cardiff Bay, but when we got to the station we realized that (being a Sunday) the bus intervals were much longer than normal and we had a good 45 minute wait until the next bus came along. So then the question arose of what to do while we waited. Thankfully, Hillary's inquisitive nature kicked in and saved the day! Peeking around a corner, she discovered what looked like a park, so we decided it wouldn't hurt to wander around a bit while we waited for the bus. Little did we know what awaited around the corner ... an enormous rose garden!

Within the walls of Roath Park there had to have been over fifty varieties of roses! We couldn't believe our eyes! We instantly set about snapping pictures of each and every kind, attempting to capture the rainbow of color that surrounded us. Here are a few of my favorite varieties ...

"Golden Beauty"
"Tintlnara"
"Twice in a Blue Moon"and "First Love"
As we hopped around the flower beds like we'd never seen roses before, an older woman resting on a park bench struck up a conversation with me. Then she asked if I knew about the lake ahead, and told me there were ducks and swans, and gardens, at which point I asked, "Which way?!" I ran over to where Hillary and Melissa where snapping pictures and told them about the lake. All three of us quickly reached a consensus: Forget the bay, let's say and explore all that Roath Park has to offer! So we deserted our plans for Bus #28 and enjoyed the entirety of the rose garden at our leisure. I think I took almost a hundred pictures in that portion of the park alone!

Next we followed the signs to the lake where we were entertained by the inhabitants, particularly the adorable little ducks. They would upend their little bottoms and wiggle their tales in the air as they nibbled at their dinner below the surface. It was so cute!

The bridge was full of local onlookers and there were almost as many children as there were swans! At first the sky looked pretty threatening and we worried it might rain, but then the sun beat out the clouds and we knew a beautiful day was here to stay.

After getting our fill of the view from the bridge, we walked over to the docks to inquire after the paddle boats (or as the Welsh call them, pedal boats). The price was great so we hopped in a bright green vessel and took off toward a huge herd of swans. Do these young ladies look a bit devious or what?! By the end of the ride they had been dubbed "Hillary the Swan Killer" and Melissa, Swan Slayer" ... although in reality I think the swans scared us more than we ever scared them!

As I was the designated photographer in the backseat, I was helpless when the swans came right up to the boat and in for the kill. All I could do was yell "Pedal faster!" Yet all in all it was a delightful ride and as the weather was gorgeous we got a great view of the lake. It was warm and sunny and the best accidental discovery I've had on this trip!

After our boat ride we had lunch at the lakeside cafe and then headed back to our hostel to pick up our bags. Then it was back to the train station and on the road back to London! I would love to go back and see more of Wales someday - it was a fantastic weekend and definitely worth the trip if you are ever in the area!

Well I need to run now ... it's a dreary day and I'm trying to wrap up my homework for this week because tomorrow we are spending the day in Canterbury and then on Friday I am traveling to Derbyshire and visiting the Chatsworth House (Mr. Darcy!!!). I can't wait!

I'll post all about it when I get back :) Much love and baci!

Bekah

1 comment:

Unknown said...

How delightful! I can't imagine what it must have been like with all of those roses (and rose varieties) surrounding you! I particularly like the "Twice in a Blue Moon" and "First Love." I'm so glad your bus was later than you expected! (and I know you are too!)

I will certainly continue to keep you (and your companions) in my prayers.

<3!