Tuesday, May 22, 2007

The wonders of Casa Buitoni

Buongiorno friends and family! It's so hard for me to grasp the idea that back home it is only about 10:30 in the morning. Here it is quattro e trenta in the afternoon and HOT! I got a bit pink yesterday so now I'm a bit OCD about sunscreen. But it was an amazing day!

We were exceedingly privileged to visit the beautiful Casa Buitoni, an old Italian home bought by Nestlè in the late 1980s and converted into a research and development center (including an experimental kitchen!).

The Buitoni family began a small Italian cuisine business and lived in the home during the two World Wars. Nestlè has taken over Buitoni food products and they are slowly being introduced in the U.S. - and supposedly available in Harris Teeters! I would highly recommend them.

Now on to the house itself. It was one of the most beautiful homes I have ever seen! The home rests on the side of the Tuscan mountains, overlooking the cities of Arezzo, Sansepolcro, and Anghiari. The sights were incredible!

We toured the house - including the experimental kitchens - and explored the gardens, then were treated to a delectable meal out on a terrace that overlooked the glories of Tuscany. It was like a dream!


Our "connection" that kindly arranged the visit, an old friend of the program named Andrea, then sang for us as we enjoyed desert. Andrea has performed before the pope himself, so it was a great honor to witness his performance!

I will try my best to log on later this afternoon and evening to post pictures and update this post, but as usual I can't promise how soon that will be! Me and my absent-minded genius forgot ONE piece to the USB hook-up and thus prevented my posting pictures now. Way to go Bekah :)

Our homework load is quite heavy and in reality we go from one thing to another all day long. Please be praying for endurance and a gentle spirit as I get tired and overwhelmed with all the various things that are on my plate each day. I am having the time of my life and wish I had more opportunities to share stories and pictures, but the nature of this whirlwind adventure makes that a bit difficult. Hopefully I will make it back to the Internet point in an hour or so and there will be a computer open ...

I miss you all very much and can't tell you how much I appreciate the emails! Even in the midst of all the excitements of Italy, they truly are the highlight of my day. Again, please forgive me if it takes several days or more to get back to you!

Much love! Baci!

Bekah

1 comment:

nattandmatt.blogspot.com said...

Bekah! I love reading your daily blog! Hang in there with the studies! If anyone can do it, I think Bekah Williams is perfect for the job! Sounds like you are enjoying yourself...I smiled when I saw nuetella; my mom loves that stuff (you can buy it here in the states too). Sorry I never called you in time before you left! Ok...well this is turning into a novel :)
Love,
Natalie