Friday, June 22, 2007

Another attempt at dinner ... and some silliness!

Well I've made two more dinners since my last attempt and they've been much more successful! The first was a regular pasta dish with pomodoro (tomato) sauce and basil. Finding Parmesan cheese was a life-saver! That bowl of pasta was so tasty I refused to put it down to snap a picture :) Then the night before last I tried pesto again (this time I did not attempt to crush my own basil) and it came out wonderfully. I restrained myself enough this time to take pictures before digging in ...

What really gave the dish a kick was the grilled salmon Hillary contributed. I've loved how much fish and seafood I eat over here! I topped of the plate with a picturesque trio of basil leaves for aesthetics. Miraculously, nothing went wrong and the dinner was a success!

And I had my Tide To-Go pen ready when I dropped pasta on my shirt! Saved by the pen once again - that thing has been one of the best purchases I made before leaving :) It has rescued me from pizza sauce, chocolate gelato, diet coke, and now pesto sauce.

Besides improving my culinary skills, I have also been hard at work on final projects for my art class (I can't wait to show them to you all when I get back!) and enjoying the city of Lugano whenever I get a spare moment (which isn't often, but I'll take what I can get!). Yesterday Hillary and I went shopping and I bought my first clothing items of the trip - be proud! I had withstood the many temptations for over a month and since the Swiss franc is worth about 85 cents in U.S. dollars, I was also getting more for my money. We had a blast trying on foreign fashion and I got some fun new clothes to breathe new life into my now well-worn wardrobe. As silly as it is, just adding a few new fun pieces to the mix excited us more than I can express!

And finally, here are a few shots that express just how tired we are - and how much fun we have when the tiredness reaches new levels!

I love my hall mates (L-R): Joy, Lizzie, me, and Hillary

That's all for now - more later!

Baci,

Bekah

No comments: